WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT
NPDES PERMIT COMPLIANCE
- Wastewater Treatment Ammonia Removal is hard enough to maintain under optimum conditions.
- Add in toxic and inhibitory compounds which hinder the delicate Nitrification Process, such as Oil Refining experiences routinely.
- Now reduce the water temperature, such as operating plants experience in the northern states.
The result: Greatly reduced or perhaps even complete loss of Nitrification and NH3 Removal.
Unfortunately, even under optimum conditions, restoration of lost Nitrification takes days at best.
The principal staff of REFINERY WATER ENGINEERING & ASSOCIATES has provided consulting engineering services to over 800 Industrial Biological Wastewater Treatment Plants over the last 30 years. Our expertise in NH3 Removal technology has met the recovery needs of operating plants even under the most stringent circumstances.
Our Emergency Response Troubleshooting Program is set up to provide ONE DAY ONSITE MOBILIZATION for troubleshooting wastewater plants under duress and in compliance jeopardy. Our field tested expert team can very quickly complete root cause failure analysis, since we've probably seen the symptoms before in the other plants in which we have worked. This experience allows for saving valuable time in the corrective action phase, so that out of compliance excursions can be minimized. After all with noncompliance issues, the clock is ticking.
We also equip our field expert engineers with our Two Phase Technology Solutions for Emergency NH3 Removal Recovery, which include:
- Co-Metabolite Technology: Our short term quick fix, or for lower NH3 levels, which provides for immediate maximization of NH3 Removal via the Heterotrophic Uptake Mechanism. Most plants can return to 99% NH3 removal in one day with this approach.
- Chemostatic Nitrifier Incubation: Our longer term fix, or for higher NH3 levels, which uses Chemostatic Reactor Incubation Technology to grow up large volumes of the delicate indigenous Nitrifiers onsite, with subsequent additions to the system in numbers which can impact the growth rate of the entire system's biomass population. This technology serves to short-circuit the required sludge retention time needed to restore lost Nitrification to full efficiency. Following a total loss of Nitrification, most plants can experience considerable Nitrification in 48 hours with this approach, and can get to full Nitrification in a few days with the Incubators on. In many instances, that is enough to jump start the natural population's rebuilding process such that no further Incubation is needed.
Note: With these technical approaches, there are no magic bugs, no consumables, no equipment to buy. We provide Operations-Based Engineering Services. In all likelihood, most plants already have everything needed onsite to implement these solutions.
For more information, call or write us at: